This weekend I went through my makeup bag and decided to toss the old stuff and replace with new. Much like cleaning out your closet, going through your beauty bag is a refreshing and sometimes cathartic experience. That bright pink lip gloss that looked so good in the pot, but not so much on you? Time to toss. Same with the gorgeous sparkle green eye-shadow that the girl at the beauty counter promised would be an instant eye-brighter. Bye-bye purple liquid liner, Sayonara siren red lipstick. Time to make room for some new makeup products.
We all know that makeup does have an expiration date (does anyone follow this?) Your skin will actually thank you for getting rid of the old stuff. Plus, with the weather changing, your skin might have different needs and you might need a darker foundation or heavier moisturizer. Whatever the reason, it’s always a good time to take stock of what you have and purge what you don’t need and get new products. Here’s what’s in my new beauty bag:
1) Mascara: Exceptionnel De Chanel Intense Volume & Curl Mascara, $30. I always invest in a good mascara – this one curls and does not clump.
2) Lip Stick: Stila Long Wear Lip Color in Coquette, $18. A creamy formula that stays on all day.
3) Brow Pencil: Anastasia Perfect Brow Pencil, $22. Don’t forget to shape and color (if needed) your brows. Helps to finish your look.
4) Lip Gloss: Revlon Super Lustrous Lip Gloss in Cherries in the Glow #080, $6.99. Love the pinky hue of this creamy, long wearing gloss.
5) Lash Primer: Blinc Lash Primer in Clear, $24. One of my must-haves. This sets a canvas for mascara to cling to and helps prevent clumping while conditioning your eyes.
6) Blush: Make Up For Ever Powder Blush in Pearly Peach #153, $19. A pretty, subtle and shimmery peach, light enough for day wear.
7) Brush Set: Sephora Perfect Ten Brush Set, $72. A worker is only as good as his tools! Time to get rid of the old brushes and upgrade to a new set.
8) Foundation: bareMinerals Matte SPF 15 Foundation, $28. Have been using their regular powder foundation, but recently upgraded to this matte version.
9) Eyeshadow: NARS Essential Eye Palette, $55. Love these rich hues, perfect for fall.
10) Lip Salve: Bigelow Rose Salve, 5.50. This stuff is a must-have to keep on hand. Gives your lips a great glossy look. Also helps heel rough spots on hands, cuticles and skin.
11) Eyeliner: LORAC Front of the Line Pro Waterproof Eyeliner in Brown, $22. Draws the perfect line. I use brown instead of black which looks harsher on my eyes.
How about you? What products are you tossing and getting new ones of?